The Natural Capital Group has a vision for Greater Manchester:
By 2020, our natural environment, and the ecosystem services it provides, still need to be both protected and (where possible) enhanced in light of increasing pressures from people, the economy and a changing climate. Our natural capital must also be embedded into the decision-making for sustainable economic growth investments, enhancing their success and resilience.
By 2020 we seek to achieve:
- No net loss in habitat from a 2014 baseline
- A year-on-year increase in external funding for natural environment projects
- Over 3 million trees planted (by 2035)
- The clear and balanced consideration of natural capital when investing future projects
The group have outlined their priorities for this year which are to:
- Identify the key natural assets in Greater Manchester
- Develop an investment framework for natural resources
- Act as an ambassador for the natural environment in Greater Manchester, supporting delivery through existing partnerships, and showcasing important projects
Who is the Greater Manchester Natural Capital Group?