The overarching vision for the group is that:
By 2020, our natural environment, and the ecosystem services it provides, still need to be both protected and (where possible) enhanced in light of increasing pressures from people, the economy and a changing climate. Our natural capital must also be embedded into the decision-making for sustainable economic growth investments, enhancing their success and resilience.
By 2020 we will seek to achieve:
- No net loss in habitat quality or extent from a 2014 baseline
- A year on year increase in the external funding secured for delivery of physical natural environment enhancement projects
- Over 3 million trees planted (by 2035) and natural capital embedded into our investments
- The transparent and informed consideration of natural capital impact in investment decision making
The Group have outlined their priorities for this year which are to:
- Identify the key green and blue infrastructure and biodiversity assets for GM
- Quantify the value of key natural environment assets for GM
- Develop an investment framework to target resources at our key assets.
- Act as an ambassador for the natural environment in GM, support delivery through existing partnerships and structures and showcase headline initiatives